Thursday, June 20, 2013

June, 2013 Teacher Feature - Addison Arthur Wakeford IV


 
 
 
 
 
 
PCBYC:  Addison, tell us a little about your “yoga history”….how did you get started, and what drew you to yoga?

For the past several years I've been drawn to fitness, and challenging the body; and once I heard from my mother how difficult her yoga classes were it peaked my interest. After going through just one amazing class I was hooked. So for a couple of months I would go to two yoga classes a week and then practice what I learned on my own. Until that blossomed into me wanting to have yoga apart of my daily life. 

PCBYC:  So, once you became a serious yoga student, how long before you decided to pursue yoga instruction as a path?  How did you choose your YTT training – what was the criteria?

I never decided to become a yoga instructor, it sort of just manifested itself. I went on vacation in Costa Rica with my sister and my nephew, and while I was there I stumbled upon a teacher training course that was starting while I was there. My intentions were to deepen my physical practice, but midway through the month-long course I grew into an instructor. It felt so natural and rewarding to me that it just made sense to continue on the path as a yoga instructor.

PCBYC:   Once you became certified, how did you go about breaking into instructing here in the Panhandle?   
Initially I was a bit nervous about applying to places to instruct at, but then I realized that I wasn't applying for a job but applying to share with others what I had learned. Once I changed my outlook it felt extremely natural and effortless. I started off at Yoga For You and then eventually was asked to sub classes at other studios and gyms, which led me to teaching regularly in several wonderful spaces. 

PCBYC:  What would you say a typical day of yoga looks like for you?

I feel that yoga is a very intuitive practice, because your body tells you what need and when you need it. Key is to listen to those signals that your body is sending. So my days vary on what postures I flow from. I do take time each morning when I wake up and dedicate it towards some breath-work and some mellow yoga postures. The rest of the day is usually filled with some sort of yoga, whether it be a class I teach, a class I take, or just some casual breath-work on the beach during the sunset. 
PCBYC:  Do you have a favorite pose?  Why?
Favorite is a tricky word. I tend to go through phases of poses I like more than others, but overall I love the challenge of them all. I do think it's important to practice the poses you favor less than others though. There's a message to be learned through all of the poses, so if you have resistance towards any certain pose probably means you should spend more time on it.

PCBYC:  What about yoga makes you laugh?

I think yoga should always have room for laughter. It should be fun and comfortable enough for laughter and any given moment. 

PCBYC:  Do you feel there is a difference between studio yoga and classes conducted in other venues?
I think there's a difference in the aesthetics, or appearances of yoga studios compared to other venues, but do feel that the overall message is the same. Yoga is yoga, whether it's in a yoga studio, a gym, an airport, or even just in your own room. Taking the time bring awareness to your body and breath is important regardless of the setting.

PCBYC:  How does your yogic path integrate with or enhance the other aspects of your life? 
It's integrated with everything that I do. I don't think initially I had the intention of letting yoga guide my life, but over time my personal experiences have led me to correlating yoga with everything that I do. I think yoga is an experiential practice, you can't really describe what you're supposed to feel from a yoga class but you can experience it for yourself and subjectively look at the results.

PCBYC:  What do you learn from your students?
I learn how to be a better instructor as well as how to maintain my own personal practice. My students inspire me to continue my training as a instructor and help me stay focused on the goals I have. Each class is different, with different ages and body types, so having different people to work with helps me identify what certain people might be needing out of a class. I'm constantly learning from my students and am so grateful to have them.

PCBYC:  How have you remained a student yourself?
I still love attending classes any chance I get. Especially when it's a style of yoga I haven't tried before. There's so much knowledge out there that I'll remain a student for the remainder of my life, which really excites me. Endless knowledge is a great thing, because I'm constantly learning new ideas and methods and applying them to my life. 

PCBYC:  What would you say is the most gratifying part of being a yoga instructor?  
Being able to share with other people what I've been taught. Everything that I teach I have experienced myself and have seen the benefits. So being able to share this knowledge with others is extremely gratifying. Seeing people challenge themselves is a wonderful thing, and being the one to help them do that is even better.

PCBYC:  What inspires you about yoga?  How have you developed your style?

The challenge of bringing balance to your mind and body, to your whole life. Life isn't always easy, and having yoga to come back to is extremely comforting. I've developed my style based on harmony. Just like with music our lives have a harmony or a melody that flows us through our day to day. Sometimes the melody might have a wrong note in it, but just being aware of when the wrong notes are being played is key. So I've developed my style into trying to maintain the balance, to keep the harmony flowing in your life so that you can dance through your life with ease. 

PCBYC:  Where do you see yourself as an instructor five years from now?
The future isn't definite or carved in stone, so trying to imagine where I'll be is difficult to me. I do know that I'll still be helping others and continuing my personal education to enhance my teaching skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment