Tuesday, January 8, 2013

January 2013 Teacher Feature: Paul Zipes







PCBYC:  Paul, in one of your informational profiles, you say that you began your yogic path on a dare from your wife.  Can you elaborate?

PZ:  She was doing a Bryan Kest Power Yoga tape and I did not act  impressed so she suggested I try it.  It was a while before I started a regular practice but that day was the beginning of my journey. 
 PCBYC:  Why did she dare you and did you immediately jump in and decide to become an instructor and studio owner?    How long would you say it was before you felt called in that direction? 
 
PZ:    It was about 5 years of dabbling with yoga before I became certified to teach and then about 5 years after that I opened a yoga studio.
PCBYC:  Once you felt yourself going down that path, how did you determine what type of instruction you would take? 

PZ:   Initially, I just wanted yoga that was really physically challenging but that changed over time as I learned there was much more to yoga than just being able to do a headstand or tricky balance pose.

 PCBYC:  How did you come to study with a Guru in South Florida?  What were the benefits of that type of training versus others you evaluated? 

PZ:   A lot of serendipity led me to find my teacher.  Initially I was actually signed up to take teacher training at Dragonfly Yoga Studies in Fort Walton but right after I registered I tore my ACL playing soccer and withdrew from the training.  Months later I still really wanted to attend a teacher training course and found one near Miami that taught  basic yoga and space was available.  I got lucky in many ways because the experience far exceeded my expectations and gave me a solid foundation from which I continue to grow from.
PCBYC:  When you completed your training and opened your studio, what were your initial expectationsHave the expectations and goals changed over the years?  

PZ:  After teaching at local gyms for many years I felt like Panama City needed more than the few yoga studios that existed at the time.  I thought I could open a studio that would attract teachers and students from our local community.  That desire is reflected in our name Yoga For You.  What I realized since opening the studio is that it won’t be able to attract all yogis because we don’t teach certain types of yoga that some people like, such as Bikram and Iyengar.  So, now my goal is to simply make sure people know that Yoga For You is here for anyone who wants a yoga studio to practice in with highly qualified teachers to safely and authentically teach them yoga. 

PCBYC:  What would you say is the most gratifying part of being a yoga instructor? 

PZ:  When a student smiles after class and feels great or when a student finds relief from an injury or stress. 
PCBYC:  What do you learn from your students? 

PZ:   Humility is a biggie and so is tolerance.
PCBYC:  How have you remained a student yourself? 

PZ:   I practice with other teachers whenever possible and practice on my own.

PCBYC:  How does your yogic path integrate with or enhance your life as a husband & father

PZ:   They may disagree at times but I think I am happier, calmer and more in the moment.    
PCBYC:  Do you and your family practice together?

PZ:  No but sometimes my wife and I will take a class together.  
PCBYC:  Tell us a little about Yoga for Vets?  In what ways can others become involved? 

PZ:   Yoga For Vets is a not-for profit organization that I started 5 years ago.  Our website lists over 600 locations that offer 4  free yoga classes to any combat veterans.  If you know a combat vet, tell them that they can take 4 free classes at my studio or go to www.yogaforvets.org for more info.  It is our way of telling vets Welcome Home.
PCBYC:  Where do you see yourself five years from now? 

PZ:   I have no idea; I try to live in the moment. : )

 

No comments:

Post a Comment